Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Things I Love Mondays

I have had a crazy busy weekend. (***Again...let's pretend I posted this Monday!)

Last week I was complaining about our TV room -- a tiny 10 feet by 17 feet addition off the garage that has served as a dumping ground for hand-me-down furniture for the past five years. When we finally got rid of my germ-infested futon set that I bought when I was 18 years-old, we replaced it with a mismatched chair and love seat that needed a home after my grandma died.

Our TV was ancient and the constant source of frustration because in the world of widescreen, most of our TV shows/sporting events cut off people's faces.

You know, things like this:


Which is supposed to read "Zach Drops By The Set"...which we did figure out and isn't a huge deal...but come on it's 2011.

Matt and I have contemplated getting a new TV, but we always deduced that it wasn't a good time and we couldn't really afford it. 

But when Matt was talking about having Saturdays this summer be an open-door policy with our friends -- we'll have the grill going, have a new nostalgic movie to show, and games to play -- I looked at him and said, "Really? We're going to invite people over to our house on Saturdays to watch a movie on our tiny crappy television in a room where we only have seating for three people?" And then I asked for permission to just take care of this issue once and for all. 

I kidnapped Matt and drove him to the mall (a punishment beyond death for him), waltzed into Sears, and picked out a television. "We're getting this one," I said. He hemmed and hawed -- wanted to go home and do research. I said okay, but he had 24 hours to buy a new TV or I was going to just come back and buy the one I wanted. 

When we got home, I spent several hours on Craigslist searching for the perfect sectional to fit in our room. I called my dad and told him to come over on Saturday, we'd be putting up a new TV. Found a couch. And the Craigslist sectional could be delivered Saturday. I went out and got accent pillows, a lamp, a new coffee table. Took down the vertical blinds that were missing seven slats because of Elliott pulling on them...bought a curtain rod and curtains.

And...ta-da!

A new room.

In less than 24 hours.

Because that's kinda the way I do things. 

My argument for the rush...the money spent? Our old TV room was an un-sellable feature on this house. Looked tacked on, ugly, and unmanageable. The money we just spent on staging this room and making it functional and pretty? That's an immediate return on our house someday. It's almost like not spending any money. (Yeah, I'm on unpaid leave right now too...so, we need all the justification we can get.)

So, what do I love today?

My new 50 inch HDTV...and my new Bluray player...and watching Jackass 3D last night in all its High Definition glory. 

Our old room circa 2006:


In the years since then we had added the computer to the left hand corner, a bookshelf, and a piano. And this kept happening...



But now...(cute baby hiding over there on the left part of the sectional!)



So, who's coming over on Saturdays starting in June?? BBQ, nostalgic movies, and games? Or you can just come stare at my TV. I do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment