Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Breaking in the Donut Pan

My desire for a donut (doughnut, donut -- whatever, right?) pan started when I checked out the Sneaky Chef cookbook from the library.

About two weeks ago I stumbled upon a donut pan on Amazon.com and I bought it on impulse. And when it arrived in the mail about five days later, I looked at it and said, "Huh. Fancy that. A donut pan. How often am I really going to make donuts?"

Yes, I said "fancy that" -- don't judge.

Clearly I did not want to make Sneaky Chef donuts. It's not that I have anything against them and I'm not opposed to whole wheat donuts with hidden spinach, but there is a time and a place for making something you are going to feed your kids and a time and place for making something that you are going to eat sinfully while watching "Black Swan" after the kids are asleep.

(One could argue that these are BAKED donuts after all and so not that sinful.)

After looking at all sorts of recipes that exist out there on the world wide web, I decided to use the recipe my friend Sunshine shared with me from one of her favorite blogs Eat, Live, Run.

The recipe can be found here. I picked it because I had all of the ingredients I needed on hand. (All of the ingredients with the exception of buttermilk...but I never buy buttermilk when it calls for it in recipes. I made my own by combining one cup of whatever milk I have and one large tablespoon of lemon juice. Brilliant.)

Here are my beloved cake donuts right out of the oven:


They didn't cook evenly -- one side was darker than the other. So, next time I might try to flip them halfway through. But despite that small hiccup, I thought they looked beautiful. And then I made the glaze. The writer of "Eat, Live, Run" spooned on the glaze and let it soak in -- a nice idea and one that would work just fine. I use that exact same glaze recipe for my killer peppermint sugar cookies and I dunk those cookies...so, I decided to do the same for these. And instead of soaking it in, they had an amazing glazed top.


For two of the donuts, I melted some butter in a bowl, brushed it on the top and then dipped them in a sugar/cinnamon mixture. And while I was going to cover two of them in a chocolate glaze, I decided it was too time intensive to make the glaze for just two donuts -- I'll break out that experiment when I make these next time.

Anyway, here is my plate of deliciousness. I'm pretty happy with how they have turned out. Don't you just want to come over here right now and have one? You can't. I'm not proud to admit that we already ate them all. Purely for blogging purposes, of course. 







6 comments:

  1. Now the real test -- were they as good as DD?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, no baked donut is quite as tasty as those delicious fried donuts of the DD variety. Man, I am sure bummed that the Northwest is lacking in the DD franchise market...where did they go?! And why won't someone bring them back??

    ReplyDelete
  3. If they are not as good as a DD, then they are not as good as a KK. However, they are much prettier than a KK. Nice going on your first try. I'm impressed! Never made donuts, but that might get on the list of things to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You like KK better, huh? I'm totally a DD girl -- I think they are WAY better. When I was pregnant, I was craving donuts and Matt brought home KK and I was a little disappointed. Glazed are great, but you can't beat a DD maple bar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These look awesome!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there a fresh KK store in Portland? Out here, there was only KK or local until about a year ago, and now we have one DD. I went, as all good donut eaters should, and sadly, it wasn't as good as I remember it. A fresh, hot KK glazed is amazing. And one stuffed with pudding and topped with chocolate is just sinful. :)

    ReplyDelete