Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Things I Love Mondays

I will tell you what I DON'T LOVE...

Technology that impedes my Dexter watching. We lost our Blu Ray remote. That only took like, I don't know, a week. And for some reason we can't get any Blu Ray discs to start without it. It's devastating; but I'm trying to be strong.

When Season 3 disc 2 of Dexter came in the mail from Netflix, I seriously thought about packing up both my children and driving to my parent's house -- since they are both at work -- and hunkering down there to watch it. But alas, who would watch my kids? A dilemma.

Right. Anyway.

On this week's edition of "Things I love", here it is:

I love my Martha Stewart Alphabet Cookie Cutters!

Photo Credit

There are so many fun things to do with these cookie cutters! Party favors; decorations. PLUS...with a little boy who is learning his alphabet, how fun is it to cook together, make fun cookies to decorate, AND use it as an educational tool? 

Plus, someone gave me the idea to fill those suckers up and fill them with cake batter for miniature cakes.

Here is a link to my cousin's blog with a great sugar cookie recipe: Sugar Cookies! And while you're over there, you can check out all the fun things she does.

And I'm a huge fan of Martha's Royal Icing recipe. Although, it took me forever to find out that no one sells meringue powder. I had to order mine off of Amazon. But if I'm out, I use raw eggs -- just don't feed those to pregnant women and kiddos. To be safe, you know?

Just color with food dye. 

Here it is!

Ingredients:

2 large egg whites (or more if you want thinner icing)
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (add more to thicken the icing)
1 lemon, juiced

Directions:

Beat the whites until stiff but not dry. Add sugar and lemon juice; beat for 1 minute more. Adjust thickness/thinness as you desire. You can store the icing in the refrigerator for 3 days.

Substitute 5 TBS of meringue powder and 1/3 cup of water for raw eggs.

Now go make some cookies. 

1 comment:

  1. The Decorette Shop in Tigard (off Hwy 99W behind the Dollar Store that's next to Joann's) sells meringue powder! I stock up every time I go (which is infrequent) so that I don't run out for my royal icing.

    ReplyDelete